Quick Tree Facts
- There are approximately 30-35 million Real Christmas Trees sold in the U.S. every year.
- An estimated 175,000 Real Christmas Trees are sold via e-commerce or catalogue and shipped mail-order.
- North American Real Christmas Trees are grown in all 50 states and Canada. Eighty-five percent (85%) of artificial trees sold in the U.S. are manufactured in China.
- Real Trees are a renewable, recyclable resource. Artificial trees contain non-biodegradable plastics and possible metal toxins such as lead.
- Consumers can locate the nearest recycling program by logging onto www.realchristmastrees.org or calling 1-800-CLEANUP.
- For every Real Christmas Tree harvested, up to 3 seedlings are planted in its place the following spring.
- There are about 500,000 acres in production for growing Christmas Trees in the U.S. Each acre provides the daily oxygen requirements of 18 people.
- There are about 21,000 Christmas Tree growers in the U.S., and over 100,000 people employed full or part-time in the industry.
- It can take as many as 15 years to grow a tree of average retail sale height (6 - 7 feet) or as little as 4 years, but the average growing time is 7 years.
- The top Christmas Tree producing states are Oregon, North Carolina, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Washington. (See a complete list of all 50 states ranked by several variables.)